The Ingenuity Program offers students the opportunity to engage in a talent driven, student developed course of study that allows for the time, freedom as well as structure, and support necessary to foster and augment such talents. Students choose a talent or passion they are interested in pursuing and develop a project that could revolve around that talent. Students work closely with a seminar teacher to help them structure their time and focus their ideas with the aim of accomplishing their project on time. This course is held in a state-of-the-art Ingenuity Lab, which has a 3D printer, laser cutter, milling machine and more.
- Grades 9 in Semester 2 only
- 10, 11, 12, PG
- Yearlong course at 1 credit or one-semester course at .5 credit
- State-of-the-art Ingenuity Lab including 3D printer, laser cutter, milling machine, and more
Upon acceptance into the Ingenuity Program, students work with a teacher to scaffold the necessary steps, materials needed, and time necessary to make progress toward the end result. All Ingenuity students have access to a shared online whiteboard called RealtimeBoard and update it regularly. Once a detailed actionable plan is in place, students embark on their customized curriculum with the aim of exploring and developing their known talent while creating something truly unique and memorable.
The Ingenuity Program goes beyond just the classroom. Students can use their projects to explore new endeavors, earn college credits through online courses, build college or internship portfolios, or for entrepreneurial pursuits.
Get to know our Ingenuity students and view their projects at www.formaningenuity.org.
To apply for this program, an application form must be completed. Click here for the application form.
The application consists of the following questions:
- What grade are you entering?
- Would you develop an existing talent or pursue a passion while in the Ingenuity Program?
- What is the final product or artifact that you would strive to complete?
- What hardware, software or online course might you need to develop your interest, talent or passion?
- List some steps that might need to be taken to create this product?
- Would you have an interest in taking an online course in the area you are talented or passionate in as a part of your experience?
- Every student is expected to maintain and update their own web site, including weekly blog posts and product updates. Would this be something you would be motivated and excited to do well each week?
- Would you be interested in being in the Ingenuity Program for one semester or all year?