When: July 2 - July 27, 2018
Where: 125-acre campus in Litchfield, CT
Who: Students entering grades 7-11
"The Summer Program helped with the transition to the classroom as well as the whole boarding school living experience. He is more confident and is advocating for himself." ~ Current Parent
Forman School offers a four-week, coed boarding and day program for students entering grades 7-11 who would benefit from our individualized approach to learning. For over 80 years, Forman has focused exclusively on helping students understand their unique learning styles while building specific skills and strategies for success. Our faculty is expressly trained in validated teaching techniques and the latest assistive technologies, bringing to their work the best that experience and science have to offer.
To view photos from the 2017 Summer Program, click here.
The Forman Summer Student
Forman welcomes bright students with learning differences, like dyslexia, ADHD, or executive function issues to take advantage of a time-tested program under the leadership of highly trained faculty and staff. This program provides a safe, stimulating and supportive environment for students to learn about how they learn, to practice skills essential for success in school and in life while having fun, and making new friends for a lifetime.
The Academic Program
Mornings will be dedicated to individualized academic growth with coursework in key areas:
- Students gain a basic foundation in the essential concepts of algebra or geometry using a multi-sensory approach and including assistive technology.
- Students benefit from proven techniques like Orton-Gillingham and Wilson-based methods to advance reading success.
- Teachers offer best practices gained through years of direct experience working with individual students to accelerate the process of learning.
- Students learn strategies for success in reading comprehension, paraphrasing and summarizing, and vocabulary growth.
- When students understand how they learn, they are better able to take advantage of the strategies and techniques that facilitate their individual learning process.
- Students gain a greater understanding and proficiency in the skills needed to plan ahead and achieve goals: time management, task initiation, sustained attention, and goal-directed persistence.
- Forman teachers will use researched-based instruction to help students improve their ability to express themselves through writing. Instruction ranges from grammar and sentence structure to the five-paragraph essay; as students gain confidence, proficiency follows.
Forman Summer Activities
Afternoons are for fun! Experiential activities suited for a range of interests may include ceramics, tennis, golf and soccer skills, rock climbing, digital photography, fitness training, boat building, and more. Forman Summer students will have many opportunities to learn something new or practice something they already know -- making friends and having fun in the process. Each evening, students will take part in engaging workshops, such as how to use technology as a tool for learning, how the brain works, developing self-advocacy skills, and generating a personal action plan for the upcoming school year. Weekend trips will give students the opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty of summer in northwest Connecticut with activities such as swimming, hiking, horseback riding, and fishing. We'll also offer field trips to theme parks, shopping malls, movies, and sporting events.
Summer 2018 Boarding Tuition - $8,400
Summer 2018 Day Tuition - $6,840